- 28th Orange Bowl: #4 LSU beats #7 Colorado, 25-7
- 28th Sugar Bowl: #1 Alabama beats #9 Arkansas, 10-3`
- 48th Rose Bowl: #6 Minnesota beats #16 UCLA, 21-3
- Beatles' Decca Records audition is unsuccessful - they are told “guitar groups are on the way out..."
- Rwanda granted internal self-government by Belgium
- United States Navy SEALs established.
- Western Samoa gains independence from New Zealand Susuga Malietoa Tanumafili II becomes co-chief of Western Samoa
- Ari Up [Forster], German punk rock singer (The Slits - "In the Beginning There Was Rhythm"), born in Munich, West Germany (d. 2010)
- Pierce Holt, American NFL defensive lineman (Pro Bowl, All-Pro selection 1992; San Francisco 49ers, Atlanta Falcons), born in Marlin, Texas
- Ravshanbek Aliyev, Kirgiz, cosmonaut
- Diego Martínez Barrio, Spanish president (1939), dies at 76
Day of the Week: Monday
How Long Ago? 61 years, 8 months and 23 days
Leap Year: No
- #1 Song: The Lion Sleeps Tonight - The Tokens
- #1 Song: Moon River - Danny Williams