- 28 refugees escape from East to West Germany
- Brian Epstein signs management contract with the Beatles
Jackie Robinson is 1st African American elected to Baseball's Hall of Fame. Bob Feller is also elected.
- Sultan Zarawani, cricketer (United Arab Emirates capt 1996 World Cup)
- Ahmet Hamdi Tanpınar, Turkish poet, novelist, recognized as one of the most important representatives of modernism in Turkish literature (A Mind at Peace, The Time Regulation Institute), dies of a heart attack at 60
- Stanley Lord, Captain of the SS Californian the night of the Titanic disaster, dies at 84
- Tom Shirley, actor/TV announcer (They're Off), dies at 62