- 12,000 die in an earthquake in western Iran
- Channel Television launches to 54,000 households in the Channel Islands.
- KATC TV channel 3 in Lafayette, LA (ABC) begins broadcasting
- United Nations announces Earth's population has hit 3 billion
- USSR performs nuclear test at Novaya Zemlya USSR
- Robert L Haller, coon Dog Trainer
- Ruud Gullit, Dutch soccer midfielder (66 caps; Ballon d'Or 1987; Feyenoord, PSV, AC Milan, Chelsea), born in Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Tony Cascarino, Irish soccer striker, broadcaster (88 caps Rep of Ireland), born in St Paul's Cray, Kent, England