- May 27 Jomo Kenyatta elected 1st Prime Minister of Kenya
- Jun 5 State of siege proclaimed in Iran, Ayatollah Khomeini arrested
- Jun 10 US Equal Pay Act signed into law by President John F. Kennedy
- Jun 11 US President JFK says segregation is morally wrong and that it is "time to act"
- Jul 22 Sarawak achieves independence from British colonial rule
- Aug 28 Martin Luther King Jr. delivers his "I have a dream speech" addressing civil rights march at Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C.
- Sep 16 Federation of Malaysia formed by Malaya, Singapore, British North Borneo (Sabah) and Sarawak
- Nov 22 American President John F. Kennedy assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald in Dallas, Texas
- Aug 24 24th Venice Film Festival: "Hands Over the City" directed by Francesco Rosi wins Golden Lion
- Jan 11 Los Angeles night club and music venue The Whiskey A-Go-Go opens (inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2006)
- Feb 16 Beatles top British rock charts with "Please, Please Me"
- Feb 23 Luciano Pavarotti makes his debut at the Vienna State Opera in "La traviata"
- Mar 22 Beatles release 1st album, "Please Please Me"
- May 10 Decca signs Rolling Stones on advice of Beatle George Harrison
Hotline communication link between the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and the Kremlin in Moscow installed. Often known as the "red telephone" no phones were ever used, relying instead on Teletype equipment, fax machines and most recently secure email.
On August 30, 1963