- Jan 30 State funeral of Winston Churchill at St Paul's Cathedral in London. Then world's largest ever state funeral.
- Mar 18 Cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov, leaving his spacecraft Voskhod 2 for 12 minutes, becomes the first person to walk in space.
- Mar 22 US confirms its troops used chemical warfare against the Vietcong
- May 5 First large-scale US Army ground units arrive in South Vietnam
- Jun 7 The Supreme Court of the United States decides on Griswold v. Connecticut, effectively legalizing the use of contraception by married couples
- Aug 6 US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act prohibiting voting discrimination against minorities
- Aug 9 Singapore separates from the Federation of Malaysia and gains its independence
- Sep 22 India and Pakistan ceases-fire goes into effect, ending Indo-Pakistani War
- Dec 7 Pope Paul VI & Orthodox Patriarch Athenagoras I simultaneously lift mutual excommunications that led to split of 2 churches in 1054
- Dec 8 Pope Paul VI signs 2nd Vatican council
- Feb 6 Righteous Brothers "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" hits #1
- Mar 2 One of the most popular musical films of all time, "The Sound of Music", starring Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer, is released (Academy Awards Best Picture 1966)
- Apr 26 Charles Ives' 4th Symphony premieres at Carnegie Hall, New York, 11 years after the composer's death
- Apr 28 Barbra Streisand stars on "My Name is Barbra" special on CBS
"Vinland Map" is introduced by Yale University as being the first known map of America, drawn about 1440
On October 10, 1965
The wreck of the SS Georgiana, valued at over $50,000,000, said to have been most powerful Confederate cruiser, discovered by then teenage diver and pioneer underwater archaeologist E. Lee Spence exactly 102 years after its destruction.
On March 19, 1965