- Jan 30 State funeral of Winston Churchill at St Paul's Cathedral in London. Then world's largest ever state funeral.
- Mar 18 Cosmonaut Aleksei Leonov, leaving his spacecraft Voskhod 2 for 12 minutes, becomes the first person to walk in space.
- Mar 22 US confirms its troops used chemical warfare against the Vietcong
- May 5 First large-scale US Army ground units arrive in South Vietnam
- Jun 7 The Supreme Court of the United States decides on Griswold v. Connecticut, effectively legalizing the use of contraception by married couples
- Aug 6 US President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Voting Rights Act prohibiting voting discrimination against minorities
- Aug 9 Singapore separates from the Federation of Malaysia and gains its independence
- Sep 22 India and Pakistan ceases-fire goes into effect, ending Indo-Pakistani War
- Nov 27 1st French satellite launched; France becomes 3rd nation in space
- Dec 7 Pope Paul VI & Orthodox Patriarch Athenagoras I simultaneously lift mutual excommunications that led to split of 2 churches in 1054
- Feb 6 Righteous Brothers "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" hits #1
- Jul 25 Bob Dylan is booed by sections of the crowd at the Newport Folk Festival for performing with an electric guitar, beginning of folk-rock
- Aug 27 The Beatles spend an evening with Elvis Presley
- Aug 28 Bob Dylan booed for playing electric guitar at a concert in New York's Forest Hills
- Sep 4 Beatles' single "Help!" goes #1 & stays #1 for 3 weeks
The wreck of the SS Georgiana, valued at over $50,000,000, said to have been most powerful Confederate cruiser, discovered by then teenage diver and pioneer underwater archaeologist E. Lee Spence exactly 102 years after its destruction.
On March 19, 1965