The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act is signed into law by U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson.
- Alison Sydor, Canadian cyclist (Olympic silver 1996), born in Edmonton, Canada
- David Bennent, Swiss actor (Tin Drum, Legend), born in Lausanne, Switzerland
- Georg Hackl, German luger, born in West Germany
- Kevin Hatcher, American NHL defenseman (Team USA, Dallas, Pitts), born in Detroit, Michigan
- Antonio Massana, composer, dies at 76
- Leon de Smet, Flemish painter, dies at 85
- Nestor Paiva, American-Portuguese actor (Zorro, The Creature from the Black Lagoon), dies of cancer at 61