The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act is signed into law by U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson.
- Alison Sydor, x-ctry cyclist (Olympic silver 1996), born in Edmonton, Alberta
- David Bennent, Lausanne, actor (Tin Drum, Legend)
- Georg Hackl, German luger
- Kevin Hatcher, NHL defenseman (Team USA, Dallas, Pitts), born in Detroit, Michigan
- Antonio Massana, composer, dies at 76
- Leon de Smet, Flemish painter, dies at 85
- Nestor Paiva, American-Portuguese actor (Zorro, The Creature from the Black Lagoon), dies of cancer at 61