- Feb 22 25,000 US and South Vietnamese troops launch Operation Junction City against the Viet Cong. Largest US airborne assault since WWII.
- Apr 24 Vietnam War: American General William Westmoreland says in a news conference that the enemy had "gained support in the United States that gives him hope that he can win politically that which he cannot win militarily."
- Jun 5 Six-day war begins between Israel and the neighboring Arab states of Egypt, Jordan and Syria
- Jul 6 Nigerian Civil War erupts as Nigerian forces invade the secessionist state of Biafra
- Nov 28 1st radio pulsars detected by British postgraduate Jocelyn Bell Burnell and her supervisor Antony Hewish at Cambridge University
- Dec 3 1st human heart transplant performed in South Africa by Dr Christiaan Barnard on Louis Washkansky
More Historical Events
- Jun 25 First global satellite television programme "Our World" broadcast featuring 19 acts representing 19 nations including The Beatles singing "All You Need is Love"
- Jul 11 "The Newlywed Game" premieres in the US on ABC TV
- Aug 13 "Bonnie and Clyde", directed by Arthur Penn and starring Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, is released
- Aug 29 Final TV episode of "The Fugitive" starring David Janssen watched by 78 million people
- Mar 31 1st time Jimi Hendrix burns his guitar (London)
- Apr 29 "Respect" single released by Aretha Franklin (Billboard Song of the Year 1967)
- May 12 "Are You Experienced" album by the Jimi Hendrix Experience first released - one of the most influential debut albums ever
- May 26 EMI releases "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" a few days early in the UK; it would go to number one for 15 weeks in the US and 22 weeks in the UK
The world's first ATM is installed in Enfield, London
On June 27, 1967
Harold Holt, Prime Minister of Australia, vanishes in mysterious circumstances while swimming near Melbourne
On December 17, 1967