Jim Morrison leaves for Paris to reorient himself emotionally and creatively and to avoid the jail sentence given to him in Miami. He will never return to the US.
- Jiri Vykoukai, Olomouc CZ, hockey player (Team Czech Rep, Olympic gold 1998)
- Johnny Knoxville, American television personality
- Martin Rucinsky, Most Cze, NHL left wing (Canadiens, Olympic gold 1998)
- Philo Farnsworth, American inventor (created electronic television, video camera tube), dies of pneumonia at 64
- Roy Glenn, dies in Los Angeles at 56
- Whitney M Young Jr, leader (National Urban League 1961-71), dies at 49