- "CBS Mystery Theater" premieres on radio
- In response to the 1973 energy crisis, daylight saving time commences nearly four months early in the United States.
- United Kingdom begins three-day work week during energy crisis
- Daniel Cordone, Argentine footballer, born in General Rodríguez Partido, Argentina
- Juan Roque, American football tackle (Detroit Lions), born in San Diego, California
- Marcus Crandell, CFL quarterback (Edmonton Eskimos), born in Charlotte, North Carolina
- Paul Grant, NBA center (Minn Timberwolves), born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- David Alfaro Siqueiros, Mexican sculptor/muralist, dies at 77