- "The Texas Chain Saw Massacre" horror film premieres in director Tobe Hooper's hometown, Austin, Texas in the US
US Computer scientist Gary Kildall presents the prototype of his CP/M operating system in his backyard toolshed
- Watergate cover-up trial opens in Washington, D.C.
- Christian Borle, American actor (play Peter and the Starcatcher), born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Keith Duffy, Irish singer (Boyzone), born in Dublin, Ireland
- Spyridon Marinatos, Greek archaeologist (discovery of the site of an ancient port city on the island of Thera, in the southern Aegean Sea), dies at 72