- The John Bull becomes the oldest operable steam locomotive in the world when the Smithsonian Institution operates it under its own power outside Washington, D.C.
- US Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously approves Sandra Day O'Connor for the US Supreme Court
- Vanuatu becomes a member of the United Nations.
- Mark Duggan, whose shooting death sparked widespread riots in England, born in London
- Harold Bennett, English actor (b. 1899)
- Sara Haden, American actress (A Family Affair), dies at 83