- Apr 2 Several thousand Argentine troops seize the Falkland (Malvinas) Islands from Great Britain
- Apr 17 Proclamation of the Constitution Act by Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau
- May 2 Falklands War: Argentine cruiser General Belgrano sunk by British submarine Conqueror, killing more than 350 men
- Jun 6 30,000 Israeli troops invade Lebanon to drive out the PLO
- Jun 14 Argentina surrenders to Great Britain, ending the 74-day Falklands Islands conflict
- Oct 14 US President Reagan proclaims a war on drugs
- Oct 27 China announces its population has reached 1 billion plus people
- Nov 16 Space Shuttle Columbia completes its 1st operational flight
- Jul 27 Alan Menken and Howard Ashman's musical "Little Shop of Horrors" opens Off-Broadway at the Orpheum Theatre in NYC
- Oct 1 Marvin Gaye releases his last studio album "Midnight Love" featuring single "Sexual Healing"
- Oct 7 Musical "Cats" opens at Winter Garden Theater on Broadway NYC and runs for nearly 18 years before closing on September 10, 2000.
- Dec 1 "Thriller", 6th studio album by Michael Jackson is released (Grammy Award Album of the Year 1984, best-selling album of all time, Billboard Album of the Year 1983)
- Jan 2 "The Epic in Miami", in 85 degree heat (Fahrenheit), the San Diego Chargers defeat the Miami Dolphins 41-38 in overtime in the AFC Divisional Playoff Game, a game that set numerous playoff scoring records
- Jan 10 "The Catch" - iconic moment in NFL history - Dwight Clark makes a fingertip catch for a touchdown from Joe Montana with 58 seconds left (SF 49ers win the game and go on to win the Super Bowl)
- Sep 21 NFL players begin a 57 day strike
- Nov 12 Zaheer Abbas gets his 100th 100 in Test Cricket for Pakistan v India, goes to 215
- Nov 13 A boxing match held in Las Vegas, Nevada, ends when Ray Mancini defeats Duk Koo Kim. Kim's death on November 17 led to significant changes in the sport.
1st permanent artificial heart successfully implanted (U of Utah) in retired dentist Barney Clark; lived 112 days with Jarvic-7 heart
On December 2, 1982
Michael Fagan breaks into Buckingham Palace and enters the Queen's bedroom in Buckingham Palace, London
On July 9, 1982