- Jul 3 UK House of Commons announces that the Stone of Scone, aka the Stone of Destiny, used in the coronation of Scottish (and subsequently English and British monarchs), will be returned to Scotland after 700 years in Westminster Abbey
- Aug 23 Osama bin Laden issues message entitled "A declaration of war against the Americans occupying the land of the two holy places"
- Feb 23 "Trainspotting" directed by Danny Boyle based on the book by Irvine Welsh, starring Ewan McGregor, Robert Carlyle and Jonny Lee Miller opens in cinemas in the UK and Ireland
- Mar 8 "Fargo" directed and written by Joel and Ethan Coen, starring Frances McDormand, William H. Macy and Steve Buscemi released in the US
- Jul 21 "The Daily Show" hosted by Craig Kilborn premieres on Comedy Central in the US
- Jan 29 6,138th performance of "Cats" is held in London, surpassing record of Broadway's longest-running musical, "A Chorus Line"
- Feb 13 Rapper Tupac Shakur releases his 4th studio album 'All Eyez on Me'
- Jul 8 British girls group the Spice Girls release their debut single "Wannabe" in the UK
- Aug 6 Punk rock band the Ramones perform for the last time at the Palace in Hollywood
- Sep 7 Rap artist Tupac Shakur shot multiple times in a drive by shooting in Las Vegas, dies 6 days later
Four women ordained priests in Jamaica, 1st in 330-year Anglican history
On December 23, 1996
1st clamshell flip mobile phone, the Motorola StarTAC, goes on sale. Eventually 60 million are sold.
On January 3, 1996