- A fuel supply tanker runs aground off the island of San Cristobal, causing an 'ecological disaster'
- Congolese President Laurent-Désiré Kabila is assassinated by one of his own bodyguards.
- US President Bill Clinton awards former President Theodore Roosevelt a posthumous Medal of Honor for his service in the Spanish-American War
- Auberon Waugh, British author and journalist (b. 1939)
- Laurent-Désiré Kabila, President of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (b. 1939)
- Virginia O'Brien, American actress and singer (Meet the People, Gus, Ziegfeld Follies), dies of a heart attack at 81