- Jan 29 US President George W. Bush in his State of the Union address describes "regimes that sponsor terror" an "Axis of Evil", which includes Iraq, Iran and North Korea
- Mar 2 U.S. invasion of Afghanistan: US conventional forces first deployed as part of Operation Anaconda
- May 12 Former US President Jimmy Carter arrives in Cuba for a five-day visit with Fidel Castro becoming first President of the United States, in or out of office, to visit the island since Castro's 1959 revolution.
- Jul 9 The African Union is established in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The first chairman is Thabo Mbeki, President of South Africa.
- Nov 8 Iraq disarmament crisis: UN Security Council under Resolution 1441 unanimously approves a resolution on Iraq, forcing Saddam Hussein to disarm or face "serious consequences"
- Dec 13 Enlargement of the European Union: The European Union announces that Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, and Slovenia will become members from May 1, 2004.
More Historical Events
- Mar 5 American reality TV program The Osbournes" featuring family of Ozzy Osbourne premieres on MTV
- May 15 "Bowling for Columbine", a documentary directed by Michael Moore has its premiere at the Cannes Film Festival
- Jun 2 Crime drama "The Wire" created by David Simon and starring Idris Elba and Dominic West debuts on HBO
- Jun 11 "American Idol" created by Simon Fuller with judges Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul and Randy Jackson premieres on Fox
- Apr 14 66th US Masters Tournament, Augusta National GC: Tiger Woods becomes the 3rd player to claim back-to-back Masters, 3 strokes ahead of Retief Goosen of South Africa
- Jun 30 FIFA World Cup Final, International Stadium, Yokohama, Japan: Ronaldo scores twice as Brazil beats Germany, 2-0 to win record 5th title; first World Cup held in Asia
- Jul 6 Wimbledon Women's Tennis: Serena Williams beats older sister Venus 7-6, 6-3 for her first Wimbledon singles title
- Jul 21 With a record 6 races remaining, German Ferrari driver Michael Schumacher clinches his 5th F1 World Drivers Championship with victory in the French Grand Prix at Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours; 3rd straight title win
The first public version of the web browser Mozilla Firefox ("Phoenix 0.1") is released
On September 23, 2002
A MQ-1 Predator is shot down by an Iraqi MiG-25, making it the first time in history that an aircraft and an unmanned drone had engaged in combat
On December 23, 2002