- The Conservative Party of Canada is officially recognized after the merger of the Canadian Alliance and Progressive Conservative Party of Canada.
- Princess Catharina-Amalia of the Netherlands, eldest child of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, born in HMC Bronovo, The Hague, Netherlands
Queen of hip-hop soul, Mary J. Blige (32) weds record producer Kendu Isaacs in Bergen County, New Jersey
- Azie Taylor Morton, Treasurer of the United States (b. 1936)
- Carl F. H. Henry American theologian and publisher (b. 1913)
- Joe Skeen, American politician (Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New Mexico), dies at 76