- Feb 4 Mark Zuckerberg launches Facebook from his Harvard dormitory room
- Apr 8 Darfur conflict: The Humanitarian Ceasefire Agreement is signed by the Sudanese government and two rebel groups
- May 17 Massachusetts becomes the first U.S. state to legalize same-sex marriage
- May 26 The United States Army veteran Terry Nichols is found guilty of 161 state murder charges for helping carry out the Oklahoma City bombing.
- Jul 5 First Indonesian presidential election by the people - first round (eventually won by Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono)
- Nov 11 Yasser Arafat's death through unidentified causes confirmed by Palestine Liberation Organization, Mahmoud Abbas elected PLO chairman minutes later.
- Dec 8 Cuzco Declaration is signed in Cuzco, Peru, establishing the Union of South American Nations
- Dec 26 9.3 magnitude earthquake creates a tsunami causing devastation in Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, the Maldives and edges of the Indian Ocean, killing 230,000 people
More Historical Events
- Jan 3 After hosting the show for over 30 years, Casey Kasem gives up the hosting duties of "American Top 40" to Ryan Seacrest
- May 6 TV sitcom "Friends" airs season finale in 10th and final season in US (52.5 million viewers)
- May 13 The final episode of "Frasier" on NBC is watched by 33 million people
- Mar 13 Luciano Pavarotti performs in his last opera at New York Metropolitan Opera's "Tosca"
- Aug 27 German kayaker Birgit Fischer wins gold in K-4 500m & silver in K-2 500m in Athens; first woman in any sport to win gold medals at 6 different Olympics, gold 24 years apart, and 1st person to win 2 or more medals in 5 different Games
Shrek the sheep from Tarras, Central Otago, New Zealand, is finally shorn live on TV after 6 years avoidance; the fleece weighed 27 kg (60 lb)
On April 28, 2004