- 251 people are trampled to death and 244 injured in a stampede at the Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia.
Australian Men's Tennis Open
Australian Open Men's Tennis: Roger Federer wins his first Australian title; beats Marat Safin of Russia 7-6, 6-4, 6-2
Super Bowl XXXVIII, Reliant Stadium, Houston, TX: New England Patriots beat Carolina Panthers, 32-29; MVP: Tom Brady, New England, QB
Wardrobe malfunction: Janet Jackson's breast is exposed during the half-time show of Super Bowl XXXVIII, resulting in US broadcasters adopting a stronger adherence to FCC censorship guidelines.
- Ally MacLeod, Scottish soccer manager (Scotland, Ayr United, Aberdeen, Motherwell, Airdrie, Q of the South) and left wing (Blackburn Rovers, Hibernian, Third Lanark), dies of Alzheimer's disease at 72
- May O'Donnell, American modern dancer and choreographer, dies at 97
About February 1, 2004
Day of the Week: Sunday
How Long Ago? 19 years and 4 months
Leap Year: Yes
Generation: Generation Z
Chinese Zodiac: Monkey
Star Sign: Aquarius
- #1 Song: Hey Ya! - OutKast
- #1 Song: Take Me To The Clouds Above - Lmc V U2