- Feb 16 The Kyoto Protocol comes into force following its ratification by Russia.
- Feb 26 Hosni Mubarak, President of Egypt, orders the constitution changed to allow multi-candidate presidential elections, asking Egyptian parliament to amend Article 76
- Apr 26 Under international pressure, Syria withdraws the last of its 14,000 troop military garrison in Lebanon, ending its 29-year military domination of that country.
- Apr 27 The Superjumbo jet aircraft Airbus A380 makes its first flight from Toulouse, France
- Jul 7 Coordinated terrorist bomb blasts strike London's public transport system during the morning rush hour killing 52 and injuring 700
- Jul 7 Influenced by Live 8, the G8 leaders pledge to double 2004 levels of aid to Africa from US$25 to US$50 billion by the year 2010
- Jul 28 The Provisional Irish Republican Army call an end to their thirty year long armed campaign in Northern Ireland
- Aug 23 Hurricane Katrina forms over the Bahamas, later becoming a category 5 hurricane
- Aug 29 Hurricane Katrina makes its 2nd landfall as a category 3 hurricane devastating much of the U.S. Gulf Coast from Louisiana to Florida Panhandle. Kills more than 1,836, causes over $115 billion in damage.
- Nov 22 Angela Merkel becomes the first female Chancellor of Germany
- Sep 15 "Be Without You" single released by Mary J. Bilge (Billboard Song of the Year 2006, Grammy Award Best R&B Song, Best Female R&B Vocal Performance 2005)
Polish Minister of National Defence Radek Sikorski opens Warsaw Pact archives to historians. Maps of possible nuclear strikes against Western Europe, including nuclear annihilation of 43 Polish cities by Soviet-controlled forces revealed
On November 25, 2005
- Jan 30 Prince Hashem bin Al Abdullah II, of Jordan, born in Amman, Jordan
- Jun 5 Irene Urdangarin, granddaughter of King Juan Carlos I of Spain
- Jun 26 Alexia Juliana Marcela Laurentien, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, second daughter of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, born in HMC Bronovo, The Hague, Netherlands
- Aug 10 Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa, Indian chess prodigy, born in Chennai, India
- Sep 16 Princess Jalilah bint Ali, of Jordan
Britain's Ellen MacArthur becomes the fastest person to sail solo around the world taking 71 days, 14 hours, 18 minutes 33 seconds
On February 7, 2005