- Feb 16 The Kyoto Protocol comes into force following its ratification by Russia.
- Feb 26 Hosni Mubarak, President of Egypt, orders the constitution changed to allow multi-candidate presidential elections, asking Egyptian parliament to amend Article 76
- Apr 26 Under international pressure, Syria withdraws the last of its 14,000 troop military garrison in Lebanon, ending its 29-year military domination of that country.
- Apr 27 The superjumbo jet aircraft Airbus A380 makes its first flight from Toulouse, France
- Jul 7 Coordinated terrorist bomb blasts strike London's public transport system during the morning rush hour killing 52 and injuring 700
- Jul 7 Influenced by global Live 8 concerts, G8 leaders pledge to double 2004 levels of aid to Africa from US$25 to US$50 billion by the year 2010
- Jul 28 The Provisional Irish Republican Army call an end to their thirty year long armed campaign in Northern Ireland
- Aug 23 Hurricane Katrina forms over the Bahamas, later becoming a category 5 hurricane
- Aug 29 Hurricane Katrina makes 2nd and 3rd landfall as a category 3 hurricane, devastating much of the U.S. Gulf Coast from Louisiana to Florida Panhandle. Kills more than 1,836, causes over $115 billion in damage.
- Nov 8 Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf is elected president of Liberia, the first woman to lead an African country
- Nov 22 Angela Merkel becomes the first female Chancellor of Germany
- More Historical Events
- Feb 15 YouTube, Internet site on which videos may be shared and viewed by others, is launched in the United States
Polish Minister of National Defence Radek Sikorski opens Warsaw Pact archives to historians showing maps of possible nuclear strikes against Western Europe, including the nuclear annihilation of 43 Polish cities by Soviet-controlled forces.
On November 25, 2005
- Jan 30 Prince Hashem bin Abdullah II, Jordanian royal, born in Amman, Jordan
- Jun 5 Irene Urdangarin, granddaughter of King Juan Carlos I of Spain
- Jun 26 Alexia Juliana Marcela Laurentien, Princess of the Netherlands, Princess of Orange-Nassau, second daughter of King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima, born in HMC Bronovo, The Hague, Netherlands
- Jul 12 Issac Ryan Brown, American actor (Raven's Home), born in Detroit, Michigan
- Aug 10 Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa, Indian chess prodigy, born in Chennai, India
More Famous Birthdays
President El Hadj Omar Bongo Ondimba of Gabon, in power since 1967 and the longest-serving head of state in the world, is re-elected to his third consecutive seven-year term
On November 27, 2005