- Mumbai, India receives 99.5cm of rain (39.17 inches) within 24 hours, bringing the city to a halt for over 2 days
- Samir Geagea, the Lebanese Forces (LF) leader, is released after spending 11 years in a solitary confinement. His release came after the end of the Syrian occupation to Lebanon.
- Space Shuttle program: STS-114 Mission - Launch of Discovery, NASA's first scheduled flight mission after the Columbia Disaster in 2003
- Alexander Golitzen, American art director (b. 1908)
- Betty Astell, British actress (b. 1912)
- Gilles Marotte, Canadian ice hockey player (b. 1945)
- Jack Hirshleifer, American economist (b. 1925)