- Apr 22 243 people are injured in pro-democracy protest in Nepal after Nepali security forces open fire on protesters against King Gyanendra.
- May 27 Earthquake strikes Java, Indonesia at 5:53:58 AM local time (22:53:58 UTC May 26) devastating Bantul and the city of Yogyakarta, killing over 6,600 people
- Oct 4 WikiLeaks is launched, created by internet activist Julian Assange
- Oct 9 North Korea conducts its first nuclear test, with an estimated yield of between 0.4-2 kilotons
- Dec 6 NASA reveals photographs taken by Mars Global Surveyor suggesting the presence of liquid water on Mars
The United States population reaches 300 million
On October 17, 2006