- Jan 21 Black Monday in worldwide stock markets. FTSE 100 had its biggest ever one-day points fall, European stocks closed with their worst result since 9/11, and Asian stocks drop as much as 15%.
- Feb 24 Fidel Castro retires as the President of Cuba due to ill health after nearly fifty years
- May 2 Cyclone Nargis makes landfall in Myanmar killing over 130,000 people and leaving millions of people homeless
- May 12 Wenchuan earthquake, measuring 7.8 in magnitude occurs in Sichuan, China, killing over 87,000, injuring 374,643 and leaving homeless between 4.8 million and 11 million people
- Sep 10 The Large Hadron Collider at CERN, described as the biggest scientific experiment in the history of mankind is powered up in Geneva, Switzerland
- Sep 29 Dow Jones Industrial Average falls 777.68 points, its largest single-day point loss, following the bankruptcies of Lehman Brothers and Washington Mutual
- Oct 24 "Bloody Friday" saw many of the world's stock exchanges experienced the worst declines in their history, with drops of around 10% in most indices.
- Nov 4 Barack Obama becomes the first African-American to be elected President of the United States, defeating Republican candidate John McCain
- Jan 20 "Breaking Bad", created by Vince Gilligan and starring Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul premieres on AMC
- Feb 19 Toshiba announces its formal recall of its HD DVD video format, ending the format war between it and Sony's Blu-Ray Disc
- May 2 First film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe released "Iron Man" directed by Jon Favreau, starring Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark
- May 4 Seth MacFarlane reaches an agreement worth $100 million with Fox to keep "Family Guy" and "American Dad" on television until 2012, making MacFarlane the world's highest paid television writer
- Apr 20 Danica Patrick wins the Indy Japan 300 becoming the first female driver in history to win an Indy car race.
- Aug 13 American super-swimmer Michael Phelps wins 3 gold medals, all in world record time, in the one day at the Beijing Olympics; 200m I/M (1:54.23), 200m butterfly (1.52.03) and 4 x 200m freestyle relay (6:58.56)
- Aug 16 Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt sets new world record of 9.69 seconds to win the coveted 100m gold medal at the Beijing 2008 Summer Olympics
- Aug 18 Belarus weightlifter Andrei Aramnau breaks 3 world records, for the snatch, clean & jerk, and total, on the way to winning the men's 105kg gold medal at the Beijing Olympics
- Aug 24 Summer Olympics in Beijing becomes the most watched event on TV ever - nearly 5 billion, 70% of world's population
Detroit Lions crash to a 31-21 loss to Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field; first team in NFL history to go winless in a 16-game season
On December 28, 2008
Thomas Beatie, the world's first pregnant man, gives birth to a daughter
On June 29, 2008