- US and Taliban sign deal to end 18-year war in Afghanistan in Doha, Qatar. US and NATO allies will withdraw their troops after 14 months if deal kept.
- Watford beats Liverpool, 3-0 at Vicarage Road; first Reds loss since Manchester City January 2019; ends joint-longest winning streak (18) and second longest unbeaten run (44) in English top-flight football history
- Andrei Vedernikov, Russian road cyclist (first Soviet to win individual amateur road race at World C'ships 1981), dies as a result of a falling tree at 60
- Bill Roe, American sports executive (President USA Track & Field 2000-2008), dies at 69
- Éva Székely, Hungarian swimmer (Olympic gold 200m breaststroke 1952; silver 1956; first WR 400m individual medley 1953), dies at 92