- 1407 Lama Deshin Shekpa visits the Ming Dynasty capital at Nanjing and is awarded the title Great Treasure Prince of Dharma
- 1516 1st Jewish ghetto established: Venice compels Jews to live in a specific area
- 1815 Mount Tambora in the Dutch East Indies experiences a cataclysmic eruption, one of the most powerful in history, killing around 71,000 people, causes global volcanic winter
- 1858 "Big Ben", a 13.76 tonne bell, is recast at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry
- 1972 US, USSR & 70 other nations agree to ban biological weapons
- 1998 The Good Friday Agreement [Belfast Agreement] for Northern Ireland is signed by the British and Irish governments
- More Historical Events
Apr 10 in Film & TV
- 1953 "House of Wax" 1st color 3-D movie, premieres in New York
Apr 10 in Music
- 1970 Paul McCartney officially announces the split of The Beatles
Apr 10 in Sport
- 1896 Spyridon Louis of Greece wins inaugural Olympic marathon (2:58:50) in Athens; runs last lap accompanied by Constantine I
Would You Believe?
Fastest wind speed ever recorded (not a tornado) 408 km/h (220 kn; 253 mph; 113 m/s) during tropical cyclone Olivia on Barrow Island, Australia
On April 10, 1996
- 1848 British influential art critic and social commentator John Ruskin marries Effie Gray in Perth, Scotland (later annulled).
- 1902 Physicist Robert A. Millikan (34) weds Greta Blanchard
- 1935 Nazi politician Hermann Goering (42) weds Emmy Sonnemann (42) in Berlin
Articles, Photos and Quiz
Yes, We Have Some BananasA strange fruit went on sale in London on this day, the like of which nobody had seen before. Known to scientists as the Plantaine fruit, it is now unremarkable.
April 10, 1633
Eruption of Mount TamboraThe massive Tambora volcano eruption
April 10, 1815
1st Photo of a Black HoleThe first ever picture of black hole
April 10, 2019
Weekly Quiz for April 6 - 12What year was the 1st modern Olympics? Who established the 1st European settlement in South Africa in 1652? Did Peter the Great end a tax on beards in 1722?