- 1770 British explorer Captain James Cook first sights Australia
- 1775 American Revolution begins in Lexington, Massachusetts. The "Shot Heard Round the World" took place in Concord later that day
- 1909 Joan of Arc receives beatification by the Roman Catholic Church
- 1995 Oklahoma City bombing - a truck bomb at Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building kills 168 & injures 500
- 2011 Fidel Castro resigns from the Communist Party of Cuba's central committee after 45 years of holding the title.
Bicycle Day - Swiss chemist Dr. Albert Hofmann deliberately takes LSD for the first time.
On April 19, 1943
Leslie Irvin of US makes first premeditated free-fall parachute jump
On April 19, 1919
- 1941 Youngest Mitford sister Deborah Mitford marries Andrew Cavendish, son of the Duke of Devonshire in London
- 1956 US actress Grace Kelly marries Monaco's Prince Rainier III (in Church)
- 1997 Tennis player champion Andre Agassi (26) weds actress and model Brooke Shields (31) in Monterey, California
- 1997 Actor Chris O'Donnell (26) weds high school sweetheart Caroline Fentress (24)
- 2005 "Extra" co-host Dayna Devon (35) weds plastic surgeon Dr. Brent Moelleken at the Hans Fahden Winery in Calistoga, California