- 1453 Mehmed II begins his siege of Constantinople (İstanbul), which falls May 29
- 1513 Explorer Juan Ponce de León claims Florida for Spain as the first known European to reach Florida
- 1792 The Coinage Act is passed establishing the United States Mint and authorizing the $10 Eagle, $5 half-Eagle & 2.50 quarter-Eagle gold coins & silver dollar, ½ dollar, quarter, dime & half-dime
- 1801 Napoleonic Wars: naval Battle of Copenhagen - The British led by Horatio Nelson destroy the Danish fleet.
- 1917 US President Woodrow Wilson asks Congress to declare war against Germany
- 1930 Ras Tafari Makonnen becomes Emperor Haile Selassie of Abyssinia (Ethiopia)
- 1982 Several thousand Argentine troops seize the Falkland (Malvinas) Islands from Great Britain
"Electric Theatre", the first full-time movie theater in the United States, opens in Los Angeles, California
On April 2, 1902
The first official Panda crossing is opened outside Waterloo station, London.
On April 2, 1962