- 1500 Pedro Álvares Cabral is the first european to discover Brazil, landing near Monte Pascoal, claims it for Portugal
- 1915 1st military use of poison gas (chlorine, by Germany) in WW I
- 1993 Holocaust Memorial Museum dedicated in Washington D.C.
- 1994 7,000 Tutsi's slaughtered by Hutu in the stadium at Kibuye, Rwanda
- 2006 243 people are injured in pro-democracy protest in Nepal after Nepali security forces open fire on protesters against King Gyanendra.
- 2016 Paris Agreement on climate change signed in New York binding 195 nations to an increase in the global average temperature to less than 2°C above pre-industrial levels and to pursue efforts to limit the increase to 1.5°C
- 1903 Highlanders (Yankees) 1st game in New York at Hilltop Park vs Washington Senators, lose 3-1 before 11,950
More than $3.3 million is stolen from the First National Bank of Arizona in Tucson in the then largest US bank robbery in history
On April 22, 1981
In Denmark the largest lollipop, weighing 3,011 pounds, made
On April 22, 1994