- 1660 English Convention Parliament meets and votes to restore Charles II
- 1792 Guillotine first used in France, executes highwayman Nicolas Pelletier
- 1846 Thornton Affair: Open conflict begins over the disputed border of Texas, triggering the Mexican-American War
- 1945 "Elbe Day" - US and Soviet forces meet at Torgau, Germany on the Elbe River during the invasion of Germany in WWII
- 1953 Francis Crick and James Watson's discovery of the double helix structure of DNA is published in "Nature" magazine
- 1954 Bell labs announces the 1st solar battery made from silicon. It has about 6% efficiency.
- 1990 Hubble space telescope is placed into orbit by shuttle Discovery
German cartographer Martin Waldseemüller first to use the name America on his world map "Universalis Cosmographia"
On April 25, 1507
1st submerged circumnavigation of Earth completed by USS submarine Triton in 60 days, 21 hours
On April 25, 1960