- 1478 Pazzi conspirators attack Lorenzo de'Medici and kill Giuliano de'Medici in Florence
- 1607 1st English colony in American lands at Cape Henry, Virginia
- 1920 Harlow Shapley and Heber D. Curtis hold "great debate" on the nature of nebulae, galaxies and size of the universe at US National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C.
- 1945 Marshal Henri Philippe Petain, leader of France's Vichy collaborationist regime during WW II, arrested for treason
- 1956 First modern container ship, the Ideal X, leaves Port Newark, New Jersey for Houston, Texas
- 1986 World's worst nuclear disaster: 4th reactor at Chernobyl nuclear power station in USSR explodes, 31 die, radioactive contamination reaches much of Western Europe
- 2005 Under international pressure, Syria withdraws the last of its 14,000 troop military garrison in Lebanon, ending its 29-year military domination of that country.
Dan Sickles is acquitted of murder on grounds of temporary insanity - 1st time this defense used successfully in the US
On April 26, 1859
Patty Berg scores 64, best competitive round of golf by a woman
On April 26, 1952
- 1709 Frisian viceroy Johan Willem Friso marries countess Maria Louisa
- 1923 English prince Albert Duke of York (George VI) (27) marries Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon (22) at Westminster Abbey
- 1946 Father Divine, controversial religious leader claimed to be God, marries the much-younger Edna Rose Ritchings, a celebrated anniversary in the International Peace Mission movement
- 1948 Actress Lana Turner marries 3rd husband Henry J. Topping, Jr
- 1986 Actor/body builder Arnold Schwarzenegger weds newscaster Maria Shriver