- 1645 English Long Parliament passes the Self-Denying Ordinance, limiting regional armies, significant step toward New Model Army
- 1922 Joseph Stalin appointed General Secretary of the Russian Communist Party by Vladimir Lenin
- 1948 US President Harry Truman signs Marshall Plan ($5B aid to 16 European countries)
- 1973 The first portable cell phone call is made in New York City, United States.
- 2016 Panama Papers published - 11.5 million confidential documents from offshore law firm Mossack Fonseca expose widespread illegal activities including fraud, kleptocracy, tax evasion and the violation of international sanctions by the world's elite in the world's largest ever data leak
A Hawaiian surfs on highest wave ever - a 50-foot tidal wave
On April 3, 1868