- 1242 Alexander Nevsky of Novgorod defeats Teutonic Knights in the Battle of the Ice
- 1722 Jacob Roggeveen discovers Easter Island
- 1818 In the Battle of Maipú, Chile's independence movement - led by Bernardo O'Higgins and José de San Martín - win a decisive victory over Spain, leaving 2,000 Spaniards and 1,000 Chilean patriots dead.
- 1874 Birkenhead Park, the first civic public park, opens in Birkenhead, England, designed by Joseph Paxton
- 1879 Chile declares war on Bolivia and Peru, starting the War of the Pacific.
Firestone Tire and Rubber Company starts producing inflatable tires
On April 5, 1923
Chinese steward Poon Lim is found off the coast of Brazil after being adrift 133 days
On April 5, 1943