- 1242 Alexander Nevsky of Novgorod defeats Teutonic Knights in the Battle of the Ice
- 1722 Jacob Roggeveen discovers Easter Island
- 1818 In the Battle of Maipú, Chile's independence movement - led by Bernardo O'Higgins and José de San Martín - win a decisive victory over Spain, leaving 2,000 Spaniards and 1,000 Chilean patriots dead.
- 1874 Birkenhead Park, the first civic public park, opens in Birkenhead, England, designed by Joseph Paxton
- 1879 Chile declares war on Bolivia and Peru, starting the War of the Pacific.
Chinese steward Poon Lim is found off the coast of Brazil by a Brazilian fisherman family after being adrift 133 days, after British ship SS Benlomond torpedoed by german U-boat
On April 5, 1943
- 1614 American Indian princess Pocahontas and daughter of chief Powhatan marries English colonist John Rolfe
- 1653 Dutch painter Jan Vermeer marries Catharina Bolenes in Schipluiden
- 1955 Musician Ray Charles (24) weds Della Beatrice Howard
- 1992 Comedian Sam Kenison marries live-in girlfriend Maleeka
- 1999 Talk show host Wayne Brady (26) weds dancer Mandie Taketa