- 46 BC Julius Caesar defeats Caecilius Metellus Scipio and Marcus Porcius Cato (Cato the Younger) in the battle of Thapsus.
- 1652 Cape Colony, the 1st European settlement in South Africa, established by Dutch East India Company under Jan van Riebeeck
- 1917 US declares war on Germany, enters World War I
- 1994 Rwandan Genocide begins with the assassination of Rwandan President Juvénal Habyarimana and Burundian President Cyprien Ntaryamira with their plane being shot down by surface-to-air missiles, abruptly ending peace negotiations. Those responsible have never been identified.
- 1974 19th Eurovision Song Contest: ABBA for Sweden wins singing "Waterloo" in Brighton
- 1896 1st modern Olympic games open in Athens, Greece. America's James Connolly wins 1st Olympic gold in modern history, is awarded a silver medal and an olive branch [3/25 OS]
First baby born with DNA from 3 parents through mitochondrial transfer in Mexico
On April 6, 2016
- 1868 Brigham Young marries his 27th & final wife
- 1896 23rd US President Benjamin Harrison (63) weds Mary Scott (37) at St Thomas Protestant Episcopal Church in New York City
- 1920 Physicist Erwin Schrödinger (32) weds Annemarie Bertel
- 1943 US Marine Corps aviator and astronaut John Glenn (21) weds high school sweetheart Anna Margaret Castor
- 1953 MLB baseball player Ernie Banks (22) weds Mollye Louise