- 46 BC Julius Caesar defeats Caecilius Metellus Scipio and Marcus Porcius Cato (Cato the Younger) in the battle of Thapsus.
- 1652 Cape Colony, the 1st European settlement in South Africa, established by Dutch East India Company under Jan van Riebeeck
- 1889 George Eastman begins selling his Kodak flexible rolled film for the first time
- 1896 1st modern Olympic games open in Athens, Greece. America's James Connolly wins 1st Olympic gold in modern history, is awarded a silver medal and an olive branch [3/25 OS]
- 1917 US declares war on Germany, enters World War I
- 1994 Rwandan Genocide begins with the assassination of Rwandan President Juvénal Habyarimana and Burundian President Cyprien Ntaryamira with their plane being shot down by surface-to-air missiles, abruptly ending peace negotiations. Those responsible have never been identified.
Peter the Great, Tsar of Russia, ends tax on men with beards
On April 6, 1722
First baby born with DNA from 3 parents through mitochondrial transfer in Mexico
On April 6, 2016