- 1521 Spanish conquistadors under Hernán Cortés capture Aztec Emperor Cuauhtémoc in Tenochtitlan marking the end of the Aztec Empire
- 1536 Buddhist monks from Kyōto's Enryaku Temple set fire to 21 Nichiren temples throughout Kyoto in the Tenbun Hokke Disturbance. (Traditional Japanese date: July 27, 1536).
- 1642 Dutch astronomer Christiaan Huygens discovers Martian south polar cap
- 1788 Prussia joins Anglo-Dutch alliance to form Triple Alliance to prevent spread of Russo-Swedish War of 1788-90
- 1937 Second Sino-Japanese War: Japanese forces begin the Battle of Shanghai, a conflict that will last 3 months and involve 1 million troops
Construction of the Berlin Wall begins in East Germany
On August 13, 1961
Otto Witte, a German acrobat and fantasist, is purportedly crowned King of Albania.
On August 13, 1913