- 1896 Gold first discovered in Klondike, found at Bonanza Creek, Alaska by George Carmack
- 1930 1st British Empire Games open in Hamilton, Canada
- 1945 Puyi, the last Chinese Emperor and ruler of Manchukuo is captured by Soviet troops
- 1946 Direct Action Day: Widespread riots erupt in Calcutta between Muslims and Hindus over whether Pakistan should be a separate state, killing over 4,000 and leaving 100,000 homeless
- 2012 Wikileaks founder, Julian Assange is granted political asylum by Ecuador
- 1930 The first color sound cartoon, called Fiddlesticks, is made by Ub Iwerks.
A solar flare from the Sun creates a geomagnetic storm that affects micro chips, leading to a halt of all trading on Toronto's stock market.
On August 16, 1989
Morocco King Hassan II's B727 shot during failed coup attempt by General Mohamed Oufkir. Reportedly, King Hassan grabbed the radio and told the rebel pilots "Stop firing! The tyrant is dead!", fooling pilots to break off attack
On August 16, 1972
- 1290 Charles van Valois weds Margaretha van Anjou
- 1477 Maximilian I, Holy Roman Emperor, weds Mary of Burgundy, the heiress to the Duchy of Burgundy in Ghent, Belgium
- 1846 Opera Composer (The Barber of Seville) Gioacchino Rossini marries 2nd wife Olympe Pélissier in Paris
- 1902 Filmmaker Cecil B DeMille (21) weds actress Constance Adams (28) in Orange, New Jersey
- 1919 NFL player Curly Lambeau (21) weds high school sweetheart Marguerite Van Kessel in Green Bay, Wisconsin