- 479 BC Greco-Persian Wars: Battle of Plataea, Persian forces led by Mardonius routed by Greek army under Pausanias; together with Greek success at Battle of Mycale halts Persian invasion of Greece
- 479 BC Greco-Persian Wars: Battle of Mycale won by Greek forces over Persian naval troops on Ionian coast, double victory with that at Plataea ends Persian invasion
- 663 Battle of Baekgang: Tang Chinese and Silla Korean forces defeat Korean Baekje forces and their Yamato Japanese allies on the Geum River in Korea; - no Japanese invasion of Korea for 900 years
- 1789 French National Assembly issues "Declaration of Rights of Man & Citizen"
- 1883 Krakatoa volcano, west of Java in Indonesia, erupts with a force of 1,300 megatons and kills approximately 40,000 people
- 1979 The Earl Mountbatten of Burma, cousin of Queen Elizabeth II and last Viceroy of India, is killed along with three companions, two of them children by the IRA when his boat is blown up near Sligo, Ireland
- 2004 German kayaker Birgit Fischer wins gold in K-4 500m & silver in K-2 500m in Athens; first woman in any sport to win gold medals at 6 different Olympics, gold 24 years apart, and 1st person to win 2 or more medals in 5 different Games
Britain defeats Zanzibar in a 38-minute war (9:02 AM-9:40 AM). Shortest recorded war in history.
On August 27, 1896
- 1930 Journalist H. L. Mencken (49) weds author Sara Haardt (32) at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church
- 1956 Socialite Gloria Vanderbilt (32) weds "12 Angry Men" director Sidney Lumet (32)
- 1966 American sportscaster Al Michaels (21) weds Linda Stamaton
- 1977 "Coral Reefer Band" singer Jimmy Buffett (30) weds Jane Slagsvol
- 1994 TV executive Anthony Radziwill (35) weds Emmy Award-winning journalist Carole Di Falco (31) in East Hampton, New York