- 1189 Third Crusade: the Crusaders begin the Siege of Acre under Guy of Lusignan
- 1609 English explorer Henry Hudson, discovers and explores Delaware Bay
- 1830 1st American built locomotive, "Tom Thumb" races a horse-drawn car from Stockton and Stokes stagecoach company from Baltimore to Ellicott Mills. Let history record that due to mechanical problems the horse won!
- 1845 Scientific American magazine publishes its first issue
- 1963 Martin Luther King Jr. delivers his "I have a dream speech" addressing civil rights march at Lincoln Memorial, Washington, D.C.
Pharmacists John Lea & William Perrins manufacture Worcestershire Sauce
On August 28, 1837
Ten suffragists arrested as they picket the White House
On August 28, 1917
- 1775 Statesman John Hancock (38) weds hostess Dorothy Quincy (28) in Fairfield, Connecticut
- 1811 English Romantic poet Percy Bysshe Shelley (19) elopes to Scotland with 1st wife Harriet Westbrook (16)
- 1924 British children's writer Enid Blyton (27) marries editor Major Hugh Alexander Pollock, DSO (36)
- 1968 1 day marriage of character Murphy Brown
- 1997 British-Indian novelist and essayist Salman Rushdie (50) weds Elizabeth West