- 1492 Christopher Columbus sets sail on his first voyage with three ships, Santa María, Pinta and Niña from Palos de la Frontera, Spain for the "Indies"
- 1596 David Fabricius discovers light variation of Mira (1st variable star)
- 1914 Germany invades Belgium and declares war on France in WW I
- 1934 Adolf Hitler merges the offices of German Chancellor and President, declaring himself "Führer" (leader)
- 1972 U.S. Senate ratifies the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty.
First known letter sent from North America by John Rut while at St. John's, Newfoundland
On August 3, 1527
Tommy Brown at just 16 years and 8 months old, plays shortstop for Dodgers
On August 3, 1944