- 1565 Compromise of the Nobles in Habsburg Netherlands closes against inquisition
- 1814 Treaty of Ghent signed, ending the War of 1812 between the United States, the United Kingdom and their allies
- 1936 1st radioactive isotope medicine administered in Berkeley, California
- 1943 US President FDR appoints General Eisenhower Supreme Commander of the Allied forces
- 1922 BBC broadcasts first British radio play "The Truth about Father Christmas"
- 1871 Giusseppi Verdi's "Aida" opera premieres in Cairo
Christmas carol "Silent Night" composed by Franz Xaver Gruber is first sung at St Nicholas parish church in Oberndorf, Austria
On December 24, 1818
Private companies allowed to use the word "postcard" in the US. Previously they were labelled "Private Mailing Cards" and known as "souvenir cards".
On December 24, 1901
- 1914 Agatha Miller (later best selling detective author) marries aviator Archibald Christie
- 1917 Famous pilot Jimmy Doolittle (21) weds high school sweetheart Josephine E. Daniels
- 1935 Chemist Percy Lavon Julian weds sociologist Anna Roselle Johnson
- 1936 Paleoanthropologist Mary Nicol (23) weds archaeologist Louis Leakey (33) in England
- 1943 Actor and comedian Carl Reiner (21) weds singer Estelle Lebost (29)