- 1492 1st Spanish settlement La Navidad (modern Môle-Saint-Nicolas) in the New World is founded by Christopher Columbus
- 1792 Trial of French King Louis XVI, court hears the kings defense brought by Raymond Desèze
- 1825 Decembrist uprising in Russia against Tsar Nicholas I begins [O.S. 14 December]
- 2004 9.3 magnitude earthquake creates a tsunami causing devastation in Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, the Maldives and edges of the Indian Ocean, killing 230,000 people
- 1860 First ever inter-club football match between Hallam F.C. and Sheffield F.C. at Sandygate Road ground in Sheffield, England
TIME's Man of the Year is a computer
On December 26, 1982
- 1613 Robert Carr, 1st Earl of Somerset, marries Frances Howard, occasioning John Donne's "Eclogue"
- 1793 The wedding of Prince Friedrich Ludwig of Prussia and Frederica of Mecklenburg-Strelitz takes place.
- 1843 US Navy flag officer David Farragut (42) weds Virginia Loyall
- 1931 SS-Sturmbannfuhrer Reinhard Heydrich marries Lina von Osten
- 1941 Jazz musician Ella Fitzgerald (24) weds convicted drug dealer Benny Kornegay