- 1835 Treaty of New Echota is signed between the US government and representatives of a minority Cherokee political faction to cede all lands of the Cherokee east of the Mississippi River to the United States
- 1845 Texas admitted as 28th state of the Union
- 1903 French Equatorial Africa separates into Gabon, Chad and Ubangi-Shari
- 1911 Sun Yat-sen elected 1st President of the Republic of China
- 1997 Hong Kong begins slaughtering all its chickens to prevent bird flu
- More Historical Events
Dec 29 in Film & TV
- 1913 1st movie serial "Adventures of Kathlyn" premieres in Chicago
Dec 29 in Music
- 1902 Scot Joplin copyrights "The Entertainer" and several other piano rag compositions through the US Copyright Office
Dec 29 in Sport
- 1989 Wayne Gretzky and Martina Navratilova, named athletes of decade by the Associated Press
Did You Know?
The first British seagoing iron-clad warship, HMS Warrior is launched
On December 29, 1860
Would You Believe?
Emma Snodgrass arrested in Boston for wearing pants
On December 29, 1852
- 1941 Actress Maureen O'Hara (21) marries second husband director Will Price (28) (divorced 1953)
- 1954 Astronaut Buzz Aldrin (24) weds Joan Archer
- 1957 American singing duo Steve Lawrence (22) and Eydie Gormé (29) wed at the home of casino owner Beldon Katleman in Las Vegas
- 2003 Retired NFL quarterback John Elway (43) divorces first wife Janet Buchan after 18 years of marriage
- 2006 NBA basketball star Michael Jordan (43) divorces Juanita Vanoy (47) due to irreconcilable differences after 17 years of marriage
- 2006 One Tree Hill actress Sophia Bush (24) divorces actor Chad Michael Murray (25) for the reason of fraud after 5 months of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces
Articles, Photos and Quiz
Wounded Knee MassacreMass grave for the dead after the massacre
December 29, 1890
'Hitler Will Have to Break Us or Lose the War'The German Luftwaffe were hammering the British RAF until a furious and frustrated Hitler changed the plan and possibly the outcome of the war.
December 29, 1940
Weekly Quiz for December 23 - 29This week in history, French artist Vincent van Gogh cut off what part of his body in 1888? Who was crowned King on Christmas Day, December 25th?