- 1534 Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent occupies Baghdad
- 1563 Council of Trent holds its last session, after 18 years. Last ecumenical council for more than 300 years.
- 1619 38 colonists from Berkeley Parish, England disembark in Virginia and give thanks to God. Considered by many the first Thanksgiving in the Americas.
- 1791 Britain's Observer, oldest Sunday newspaper in the world, first published
- 1829 Britain outlaws "suttee" in India (widow burning herself to death on her husband's funeral pyre)
- 1918 US President Woodrow Wilson sails for Versailles Peace Conference in France, 1st President to travel outside US while in office
Killer fogs begin in London, England; the term "Smog" is coined
On December 4, 1952
Museum of Modern Art hangs Matisse's Le Bateau upside down for 47 days
On December 4, 1961