- 1534 Ottoman Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent occupies Baghdad
- 1563 Council of Trent holds its last session, after 18 years. Last ecumenical council for more than 300 years.
- 1619 38 colonists from Berkeley Parish, England disembark in Virginia and give thanks to God. Considered by many the first Thanksgiving in the Americas.
- 1791 Britain's Observer, oldest Sunday newspaper in the world, first published
- 1829 Britain outlaws "suttee" in India (widow burning herself to death on her husband's funeral pyre)
- 1918 US President Woodrow Wilson sails for Versailles Peace Conference in France, 1st President to travel outside US while in office
Killer fogs begin in London, England; the term "Smog" is coined
On December 4, 1952
- 1878 Novelist Bram Stoker (31) weds Florence Balcombe (20) in Dublin, Ireland
- 1973 NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle (47) weds activist Carrie Cooke
- 1976 Actress Elizabeth Taylor (44) marries for the 7th time to politician John Warner (49)
- 1979 Liza Minnelli's 3rd marriage (Mark Gero)
- 1999 Philippe, Duke of Brabant and heir apparent to Belgium throne marries the honourable Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz