- 1587 Queen Elizabeth I of England signs death warrant for her cousin, Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots
- 1843 Oldest continuous writer of insurance in America - The Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York (MONY) opens
- 1884 1st volume of the Oxford English Dictionary, A-Ant, published
- 1908 King Carlos I of Portugal and his heir, Prince Luis Filipe are assassinated by Republican sympathizers in Terreiro do Paco, Lisbon
- 1968 Saigon police chief Nguyễn Ngọc Loan executes Viet Cong officer Nguyễn Văn Lém with a pistol shot to head. The execution is captured by photographer Eddie Adams and becomes an anti-war icon.
- 1979 Ayatollah Khomeini returns to Iran after 15 years in exile
- 2003 Space Shuttle Columbia disintegrates during reentry into the Earth's atmosphere, killing all seven astronauts aboard.
Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir is elected as the first female Prime Minister of Iceland, becoming the first openly gay Head of Government in the modern world.
On February 1, 2009
1st scientific hand-held calculator (HP-35) introduced ($395)
On February 1, 1972