- 1570 Pius V excommunicates Queen Elizabeth I of England for heresy and persecution of English Catholics during her reign. Also absolves her subjects from allegiance to the crown.
- 1862 First Legal Tender Act 1862 is passed by the US Congress, authorizing the United States note (greenback) into circulation, the first fiat paper money that was legal tender in America
- 1910 13th Dalai Lama (Thupten Gyatso) flees Tibet for British India to escape Chinese troops
- 1956 Nikita Khrushchev denounces Joseph Stalin at the 20th Congress of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union
- More Historical Events
Feb 25 in Film & TV
- 1950 "Your Show of Shows" with Sid Caesar & Imogene Coca premieres on NBC. Writers include Mel Brooks, Neil Simon and Woody Allen.
Feb 25 in Music
- 1957 Buddy Holly and the Crickets record their smash hit "That'll Be the Day" in Clovis, New Mexico
Feb 25 in Sport
- 2018 Winter Olympics: Marit Bjoergen (Norway) becomes the most successful winter athlete of all time (15 medals) with gold in the 30k cross country
Did You Know?
Muhammad Ali [Cassius Clay] wins his first world heavyweight boxing title when Sonny Liston fails to come out for round 7 at the Convention Center, Miami Beach
On February 25, 1964
Would You Believe?
Showman P. T. Barnum exhibits African American slave Joice Heth, claiming she was the 161 year-old nursemaid to George Washington
On February 25, 1836
- 1828 6th US President John Quincy Adam's son John marries in the White House
- 1921 Actor Jack Haley (22) weds Florence McFadden
- 2011 Actor and comedian Kelsey Grammer (57) weds Kayte Walsh (29) at the Longacre Theater in Manhattan, New York
Articles, Photos and Quiz
My ‘Pretty’ Paintings, by RenoirArtist Pierre-Auguste Renoir was born on this day. An Impressionist, he created thousands of paintings, refusing to allow crippling arthritis to stop his work.
February 25, 1841
1st US One-Dollar NotesImage of the first US one-dollar note (United States Note) issued in 1862
February 25, 1862
Weekly Quiz for February 24 - March 1Under what name did Muhammad Ali win his 1st heavyweight world title this week in 1964? What was the world's first national park, created in 1872?