- 202 BC Coronation ceremony of Liu Bang as Emperor Gaozu of Han takes place, initiating four centuries of the Han Dynasty's rule over China
- 1710 In the Battle of Helsingborg, 14,000 Danish invaders under Jørgen Rantzau are decisively defeated by an equally sized Swedish force under Magnus Stenbock
- 1854 Republican Party formally organized in Ripon, Wisconsin
- 1915 WWI: After the French try to drive the Germans forces back into the Champagne region, they gain a few hundred yards - at the cost of 50,000 casualties
- 1947 228 Incident: In Taiwan, civil disorder is put down with the loss of 30,000 civilian lives.
- 1953 Francis Crick and James Watson discover the chemical structure of DNA-molecule (double-helix polymer)
- 1991 Gulf War ends after Iraq accepts a ceasefire following their retreat from Kuwait
The erroneous word "Dord" is discovered in the Webster's New International Dictionary, Second Edition, prompting an investigation.
On February 28, 1939
12-inch gun aboard USS Princeton explodes, killing Secretary of State Abel P. Upshur, Secretary of the Navy Thomas Gilmer, and other high-ranking U.S. federal officials
On February 28, 1844