- 1508 Maximilian I proclaimed Holy Roman Emperor, 1st Emperor in centuries not to be crowned by the Pope
- 1778 France recognizes USA, signs Treaty of Alliance in Paris, 1st US treaty
- 1819 Stamford Raffles founds Singapore as a British trading port
- 1840 The Treaty of Waitangi is signed between 40 Māori Chiefs (later signed by 500) and representatives of the British crown in Waitangi, New Zealand. The treaty was designed to share sovereignty between the two groups.
- 1952 Queen Elizabeth II succeeds King George VI to the British throne and proclaimed Queen of the United Kingdom and the other Commonwealth realms including Canada, Australia and New Zealand
- 1989 Solidarity union leader Lech Wałęsa begins negotiating with Polish government
- More Historical Events
Feb 6 in Film & TV
- 1921 Charlie Chaplin releases his first full-length feature - "The Kid", a silent film starring Charlie Chaplin & Jackie Coogan
Feb 6 in Music
- 1965 Righteous Brothers "You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'" hits #1
Feb 6 in Sport
- 2018 Brazilian jockey Jorge Ricardo equals world record number of victories for a jockey - 12,844 in Rio de Janeiro
Did You Know?
The Sámi people of the far northern Nordic countries have an official day celebrating their existence
On February 6, 1992
Would You Believe?
American astronaut Alan Shepard is 1st to hit a golf ball on the moon
On February 6, 1971
- 1843 American Frontiersman Kit Carson (33) weds Mexican socialite Josefa Jaramillo (14) at Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, in Taos, Mexico
- 1949 Diplomat Henry Kissinger (25) weds Ann Fleisher (23) in Washington Heights, Manhattan
- 1993 US Senator Mitch McConnell (51) weds economist Elaine Chao
- 2007 "Married ... With Children" actor David Faustino (32) divorces actress Andrea Elmer Faustino (31) due to irreconcilable differences after 3 years of marriage
More Weddings & Divorces
Articles, Photos and Quiz
Treaty of WaitangiThe Treaty of Waitangi, signed by the British Crown and various Māori chiefs
February 6, 1840
Soccer Star Dodges TV TrapHow did a 'This Is Your Life' surprise for footballer Danny Blanchflower backfire so badly and end with the Tottenham Hotspur star storming off the set?
February 6, 1961
Weekly Quiz for February 3 - 9In 1870 the US ratified the 15th amendment to the constitution, what did it then do? From which university did Mark Zuckerberg launch Facebook in 2004?