- 1672 Isaac Newton reads 1st optics paper before Royal Society in London
- 1807 Battle of Eylau ends inconclusively between Napoleon's forces and Russian Empire - 1st battle Napoleon isn't victorious
- 1960 Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom issued an Order-in-Council, stating that she and her family would be known as the House of Windsor, and that her descendants will take the name "Mountbatten-Windsor".
- 1971 Nasdaq Composite stock market index debuts with 50 companies and a starting value of 100
- 1735 First opera in North American colonies "Flora" opens in Charleston, South Carolina
- 1936 1936 NFL Draft (first ever): Jay Berwanger from University of Chicago first pick by Philadelphia Eagles
The Devil's Footprints, hoof-like marks mysteriously appear for over 60km after a snowfall in southern Devon, England
On February 8, 1855