- 1689 Prince William of Orange (future King William III of Britain), summons Convention Parliament to discuss ruling jointly with his wife Mary (daughter of exiled King James II)
- 1879 Battle of Rorke's Drift: British garrison of 150 holds off 3,000-4,000 Zulu warriors. Eleven Victoria Crosses and a number of other decorations were awarded to the defenders.
- 1905 In St Petersburg, Russia, a large demonstration of workers led by Father Gapon, march to the Winter Palace with a petition to the Tsar; troops fire on protesters in what becomes known as 'Bloody Sunday'
- 1946 US President Harry Truman sets up the Central Intelligence Agency
- 1973 Roe vs Wade: US Supreme Court legalizes most abortions
- 1987 Pennsylvania politician R. Budd Dwyer shoots and kills himself at a press conference on live national television, leading to debates on boundaries in journalism
- 1857 National Association of Baseball Players founded in New York
The first contingent of 150 Swiss Guards arrive at the Vatican
On January 22, 1506
Katie Mulcahey is arrested for lighting a cigarette, violating the 1-day old "Sullivan Ordinance" banning women from smoking in public, and is fined $5. Appearing before the judge she stated “I’ve got as much right to smoke as you have. I never heard of this new law, and I don’t want to hear about it. No man shall dictate to me.”
On January 22, 1908
- 1942 Novelist Anthony Burgess (25) weds Llewela Jones
- 1960 Comedic actor Bob Denver (25) weds Maggie Ryan in California
- 1985 Zak Starkey (Ringo's son) marries Sarah Menikides
- 2005 Businessman and "The Apprentice" host Donald Trump (58) weds former model Melania Knauss (34) at the Bethesda by the Sea Episcopal Church in Palm Beach, Florida
- 2006 Princess of Rock and Roll Lisa Marie Presley (37) weds American guitarist and producer Michael Lockwood (44) at Kyoto, Japan