- 1689 Prince William of Orange (future King William III of Britain), summons Convention Parliament to discuss ruling jointly with his wife Mary (daughter of exiled King James II)
- 1879 Battle of Rorke's Drift: British garrison of 150 holds off 3,000-4,000 Zulu warriors. Eleven Victoria Crosses and a number of other decorations were awarded to the defenders.
- 1905 In St Petersburg, Russia, a large demonstration of workers led by Father Gapon, march to the Winter Palace with a petition to the Tsar; troops fire on protesters in what becomes known as 'Bloody Sunday'
- 1946 US president Harry Truman sets up the Central Intelligence Agency
- 1973 Roe vs Wade: US Supreme Court legalizes most abortions
The first contingent of 150 Swiss Guards arrive at the Vatican
On January 22, 1506
World's largest cheese (15,723 kg) manufactured in Wisconsin for New York's World Fair
On January 22, 1964