- 1554 Founding of the city of São Paulo in Brazil
- 1565 Battle at Talikota India: Deccan sultanate destroy Vijayanagar's army and the last Hindu kingdom of Southern India
- 1840 American naval expedition under Charles Wilkes is first to identify Antarctica as a new continent
- 1949 1st Israeli election won by David Ben-Gurion's Mapai party
- 1971 Military coup in Uganda under Major General Idi Amin
- 2011 Egyptian Revolution of 2011 begins with a series of street demonstrations, rallies, acts of civil disobedience, labor strikes and violent clashes in Cairo, Alexandria and other major cities
- More Historical Events
Jan 25 in Film & TV
Jan 25 in Music
- 1817 Gioachino Rossini's opera "La Cenerentola" (Cinderella) premieres in Rome
Jan 25 in Sport
- 1924 1st Winter Olympic Games open in Chamonix, France
Did You Know?
Felix Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" first played, at wedding of Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Victoria, to crown prince of Prussia
On January 25, 1858
Would You Believe?
Journalist Nellie Bly beats the fictitious journey of Jules Verne's Phileas Fogg around the world by 8 days (72 days)
On January 25, 1890
- 1533 England's King Henry VIII marries Anne Boleyn, his 2nd wife
- 1871 US President William McKinley (27) weds Ida Saxton (23) at the First Presbyterian Church in Canton
- 1964 Comedian and actor Bill Cosby marries Camille Olivia Hanks
Articles, Photos and Quiz
1st Winter OlympicsEinar Landvik, Nordic skier from Norway, competes in the first-ever Winter Olympics in Chamonix, France, 1924
January 25, 1924
Al Capone, Public Enemy Number OneAl Capone, forever associated with Prohibition and the St Valentine’s Day Massacre, has long been ranked as the most notorious gangster in American history.
January 25, 1947
Weekly Quiz for January 20 -26What year was Ronald Reagan sworn in as US President? What is Marvin Gaye's 1971 single What's Going On about? Who became the 1st elected PM of India in 1952?