- 661 Rashidun Caliphate, then the largest empire in history, ends with death of Ali. Succeeded by the Umayyad Caliphate
- 1825 U.S. Congress approves Indian Territory (in what is present-day Oklahoma), clearing the way for forced relocation of the Eastern Indians on the "Trail of Tears"
- 1888 The National Geographic Society is founded in Washington, D.C. for "the increase and diffusion of geographic knowledge"
- 1924 Lenin placed in Mausoleum in Red Square, Moscow
- 1944 Leningrad liberated from Germany in 880 days with the loss of 600,000 killed
- 1945 Soviet troops liberate Auschwitz and Birkenau Concentration Camps in Poland
- 1973 US & North Vietnam's William Rogers & Nguyen Duy Trinh sign cease-fire, ending longest US war and military draft
Peruvian ambassador Ricardo Rivera-Schreiber warns American Ambassador of Japanese assault on Pearl Harbor
On January 27, 1941
- 1186 Henry VI, the son and heir of the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I, weds Constance of Sicily
- 1937 Musician Nat King Cole (17) weds dancer Nadine Robinson in Ypsilanti, Michigan
- 1996 "ER" TV actress Yvette Freeman (39) weds musical director Lawny Hartley (49) in Dunleith, Delaware
- 2006 Mexican Latin Grammy Award singer Ana Barbara (35) weds Jose Maria Fernandez in Mexico