- 661 Rashidun Caliphate, then the largest empire in history, ends with death of Ali. Succeeded by the Umayyad Caliphate
- 1825 U.S. Congress approves Indian Territory (in what is present-day Oklahoma), clearing the way for forced relocation of the Eastern Indians on the "Trail of Tears"
- 1888 The National Geographic Society is founded in Washington, D.C. for "the increase and diffusion of geographic knowledge"
- 1924 Lenin placed in Mausoleum in Red Square, Moscow
- 1944 Leningrad liberated from Germany in 880 days with the loss of 600,000 killed
- 1945 Soviet troops liberate Auschwitz and Birkenau Concentration Camps in Poland
- 1973 US & North Vietnam's William Rogers & Nguyen Duy Trinh sign cease-fire, ending longest US war and military draft
National Geographic Society formed in Washington, D.C.
On January 27, 1888
Peruvian ambassador Ricardo Rivera-Schreiber warns American Ambassador of Japanese assault on Pearl Harbor
On January 27, 1941