- 1595 William Shakespeare's play "Romeo and Juliet" is thought to have been first performed. Officially published early 1597.
- 1886 1st successful gasoline powered car patented by Karl Benz in Karlsruhe, Germany
- 1892 The Coca-Cola Company, is incorporated in Atlanta, Georgia
- 1896 Emile Grubbe is the first doctor to use radiation treatment for breast cancer
- 2002 US President George W. Bush in his State of the Union address describes "regimes that sponsor terror" an "Axis of Evil", which includes Iraq, Iran and North Korea
Victoria Cross established to acknowledge valour in the face of the enemy (United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries)
On January 29, 1856
Sweden outlaws aerosol sprays due to their harmful effect on the ozone layer, becoming the first nation to enact such a ban.
On January 29, 1978