- 1595 William Shakespeare's play "Romeo and Juliet" is thought to have been first performed. Officially published early 1597.
- 1886 Karl Benz patents the "Benz Patent-Motorwagen" in Karlsruhe, Germany, the world's 1st automobile with a burning motor
- 1892 The Coca-Cola Company is incorporated in Atlanta, Georgia
- 1896 Emile Grubbe is the first doctor to use radiation treatment for breast cancer
- 2002 US President George W. Bush in his State of the Union address describes "regimes that sponsor terror" an "Axis of Evil", which includes Iraq, Iran and North Korea
- 1996 6,138th performance of "Cats" is held in London, surpassing record of Broadway's longest-running musical, "A Chorus Line"
Victoria Cross established to acknowledge valour in the face of the enemy (United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries)
On January 29, 1856
Sweden outlaws aerosol sprays due to their harmful effect on the ozone layer, becoming the first nation to enact such a ban.
On January 29, 1978
- 1839 English naturalist and "On the Origin of Species" author Charles Darwin (42) marries Emma Wedgwood (41)
- 1917 Sculptor Auguste Rodin (76) weds Rose Beuret
- 1923 President of Turkey Mustafa Kemal Ataturk (41) weds highly-educated woman Latife Hanim
- 1945 Actress Gloria Swanson (45) weds William N. Davey
- 1958 Academy Award-winning actor Paul Newman (33) weds "The Three Faces of Eve" actress Joanne Woodward (27) at the El Rancho hotel-casino in Las Vegas
- 1951 Actress Elizabeth Taylor's 1st divorce from hotel heir Conrad Hilton Jr
- 1987 Lisa files for separation from husband NY Met Darryl Strawberry
- 1990 Actor Michael Keaton (38) divorces actress Caroline McWilliams (44) after 7 years of marriage
- 1994 Actor Bill Murray (43) divorces Margaret Kelly after 13 years of marriage